Email This Page to a FriendPreview: Newbert & Wallace of Thomaston, Maine, Part 1
March 3, 2015
The abandoned Creighton Limekiln site in Thomaston where the St George River turns sharply west (and where Lyman-Morse is now located) became a shipyard when Herb Newbert and Roy Wallace moved there in 1942 and began building wooden draggers scallopers, sardine carriers, lobster boats, and occasional yachts. Their work, although mostly commercial, was widely respected for its quality, and if an owner wanted a fancy yacht, that yard proved again and again that it was up to the task. Here is the yard’s building list, compiled by Roy’s grandson Rod Cook, along with photos of some of its vessels.