Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Should have known better than to have my last sail on Friday the 13th.   I was sailing in light air on a small lake upstate NY.  I decided to stretch my legs and stand for a bit, as I have done on occasion.  Unfortunately, a strong puff hit me.  As the boat healed significantly and turned into the wind, the sail and I went leeward.  I ended up in the lake and the boat took on 6 to 8″ of water over the rail.  I always wear my lifejacket so I was safe and able to hang onto the boat as it quickly righted itself.  I was concerned about getting back into her.  As I moved down the side of the boat I realized that I could scramble back in over the rail because she was sitting lower in the water.  Once back in she remained stable as I bailed.  After about 15 minutes of work, I sailed back to the dock, very wet and embarrassed but safe.  I credit Doug Hylan for the flotation and design that bounced back from the knockdown.  I thank my wife for always insisting on the lifejacket, and I’m glad that I keep a bucket stowed inside one compartment.  Stay seated, stay safe.

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.