Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Doug HermannDoug Hermann
      Participant

Saturday: I’ve been away for about 5-6 days so not much new progress. Got back to it today and glued (thickened epoxy) up all the interior support pieces for the bow thwart and I secured the mast step into place.I also dry fitted the inwales. I really like the look with the spacer blocks.

This evening, I thought I would jump in and route out a decorative groove into each of the inwales.

ALERT: I screwed up! I was tired (drove 12 hours back from Florida yesterday), I had just had dinner, and I didn’t stop to do it the right and conservative way. I just said to myself, I can clamp the inwale to a couple of saw horses, align the guide on the router and off I go….

Bad move, the first 11 inches look like a drunken sailor. Stop and regroup. I mixed up a batch of thickened epoxy, filled the sloppy work and will sand it smooth in the morning.

Then, I will set up a proper jig to route the inwales.

BOW THWART SUPPORTS EPOXIED AND CLAMPED IN PLACE

Adding machine tape used to measure the length of the inwale as it curves around the shape of the boat. Could never do it with a tape measure.
      Confession: Even using the paper roll to measure,  I cut one of the inwales an 1/8” short. Remember measure twice, measure 3 times, then cut. I was working the final length bit by bit, sawing kerf wide cuts. I thought I had just made the perfect fit, nice and tight at the bow. I forgot to check the other end of the inwale, it had slid away from the stern bracket just a bit…. Damn. Thickened epoxy and no one will know the difference.

54BF94BF-FAEF-4B06-B1F9-7EEF99B0E322

DRY FITTING THE INWALE. I LIKE THE LOOK OF IT.

51C7C4BB-97DE-4003-BA8C-E332CB4D944A

SHITTY ROUTER WORK – it would have to be on one of the most visible pieces on the boat.

6B6EBECA-0322-4DD9-B61E-292CB20619EC

EPOXY TO THE RESCUE. Some 80 grit, 120 grit, and 220 grit; 10 minutes with the sander all will be good!

Even if my screwup shows, it just adds character and patina to a hand built boat.

CD771407-177B-4844-BBA5-D7815BFAF986

Participant

Nice to see that other people make errors too. Nice fix.
      Mike

Doug HermannDoug Hermann
      Participant

Mike – thanks for reading through my posts! Here is what that mess up looks like at this very minute.   Only you and I, and anyone else reading this, now knows where it is; and how damn hard you have to look to find it!

Please start a build I would love to follow along!

3CA491AB-65A2-4933-940A-9CD0FD4CCFC1

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.