Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hi Guys – John Haswell here. I am a retired builder and live in Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Boats have been part of my life from the time I was a boy when I obtained  my first, a P class yacht (small single sail dinghy popular as a training boat). Since then I have sailed on and owned a wide variety of boats both sail & power.
      In earlier years I built two boats (one sail one power) both were about the size of Oonagh and of plywood construction..

I commenced my Oonagh build ( off the plans no kitset) in Nov 2020 and am  nearing completion of the hull ready for painting.  Yet to do rudder, centre plate & spars.

Participant

Being from New Zealand were the plans mirrored ? LOL

Participant

No but they are in feet & inches, we work in millimeters.  Fortunately I have an old (like me) wooden, 3 ft rule which allows me to  take a measurement off the plans which I then convert to metric by holding the 3 ft rule against my metre rule!

Participant

Greetings, John. I’m also building an Oonagh here in Kent, Ohio. I have family in Hamilton and  was there last March –  flew home just as the world shut down. I hope to visit again later this year and will look you up if I can. Love to see what you’ve done with your Oonagh.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.