Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Doug HermannDoug Hermann
      Participant

I taped off the prepped hull.Laid out the dynel and trimmed it to fit. Saturated the cloth using a roller. Came out very nice and smooth. A little scraping the next morning, a little sanding with random orbit finish sander, all good to go.

I ended up applying 6 oz cloth to the sheer panel and I applied dynel to the exterior of bow and stern.
      EF704C29-D7CC-46D6-9424-2A4EADF0F781447FA452-26C1-411F-9E1F-DFF7E81235834EB3561E-E921-4FDD-BB3A-F49C0E5B9A03EBF8AA1C-C01E-41F8-8B7A-F7181A6F0FD7

Participant

I found it easier to pour the epoxy and spreading it with a scraper rather than using the roller. This technique also meant I used less epoxy. I’ve only done the first coat as of today. I’ll do the second coat with filler tomorrow.

Participant

Second coat of filled epoxy done. Again I used the pour and scrape method and was able to apply a nice even thin coat. I used the roller at this step to smooth out ridges left by the scraper.

Doug HermannDoug Hermann
      Participant

Tom – your approach is probably the better route to go with. I didn’t think to use the plastic scraper/squeegee. Thanks for the suggestion!

That said, your approach triggered me to do the same on all the interior bulkhead and thwart pieces. I am epoxying everything out of the boat. Using the scraper was great. Quick, even coat, just enough to seal the grain. Will do another coat tomorrow. just straight epoxy, no cloth, no dynel, no thickeners.

I should be ready to start the interior assembly on Wednesday!

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.