Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Doug HermannDoug Hermann
      Participant

The delivery truck arrived at our house on January 26th. with the Oonagh kit. 135 days ago and I am now finally putting on some final color! The paints are from George Kirby – highly recommend them! Seem to be genuinely nice people when I have talked with them (Kim and George Kirby).

The interior is #32  sand, low luster. All bright work will be finished with Pettit Captains Varnish, Satin. The (what I would call the boot stripe) area between the upper and lower guards will be #32 Sand, semi-gloss. The hull will be #9 Blue, semi-gloss. The bottom is white, non-ablative, anti-fouling.

I am rolling on the paint with a 1/4” nap, 4” long roller I think. I am not tipping it with a brush. I don’t think it needs it. I did use some Flood’s Penetrol. Went about 50% of what directions said to use. I think I would use even less the next time. I am by no means an expert in paint formulations. Use what you know that works for you, or try it and be ready to strip it back if it fails! At 50% the paint seemed almost too thin. But it went on nicely.

Contrast with white primer

5F0E87D2-4014-4432-A544-164625C6F64D

The darker brown area is where I have left the Dynel exposed. I think after two finish coats, there will be no anti-skid effect remaining. Maybe I used too much epoxy, fill coat was too much, Kirby paint is thick – maybe it would need to be really thinned down. No idea how the pros do i;, if i lose a few guests overboard, so be it. What’s the fun of boating if you don’t get wet occasionally??

603C5F02-B539-4767-823E-4A89A5F8F189

After 2nd coat of finish paint goes on, I will finally install the inwales. I have them ready, probably 10+ coats of varnish now. I put on the satin coat today.

The final element to be installed will be the gunnel guard I will finish up painting, varnishing, hardware installations before I tackle that . I still haven’t purchased material or made the mast yet!

43ADD858-DCE8-4274-BE8C-B52331E913D2E90058BE-B399-490A-B54E-2BC578D33174

Steve StoneSteve Stone
      Keymaster

Well done, Doug. 135 days is impressive. You can’t go wrong with Kirby paints. They ARE indeed very nice people and Maynard Bray uses their paints. Hard to beat that combination.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.