Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Participant

My journey to building this boat started with an article in the August 2005 Boating NZ magazine. Fell in love with it then. Early 2006 while working in the Havelock marina, there it was. Whio. Couldn’t really believe my eyes. Got to crawl over her and really really wanted one but at the time the cost of plans were too much for me. Ever since then every couple of years or so I would google Whio just to see if there were any new pics or other info out there. Then last year during lock down. Bing. OCH and BBY asked for expressions of interest on purchasing a set of plans when they were finished. I got myself on that list pretty smartly and when they became available I placed an order only hours after they were released. I decided to order a CNC frame kit. Did the exercise of trans shipping across the States to LA and shipping to NZ. Was easily doable. Someone in Perth Australia was able to cut the frames and so I looked at shipping to NZ and that was doable. Finally CMC Design in Opua NZ came on board and I now have a CNC cut frame kit sitting on my shed floor. The build won’t get started until I have finished my car project and free up some shed space to do the laminating and put the frames together. Back in early June I got a phone call from a guy that had purchased Whio’s younger sister and was on his way home to Queenstown and would I like to see her. You bet. So on a wet Saturday morning we took over a lane at the local petrol station for a couple of hours as we swapped stories and looked over the boat.

As for me. I work for a boat repair company in the Havelock marina doing the inboard and commercial boat engine maintenance and repairs. I live just out of town in an owner designed and built house across the estuary from Havelock at the head of the Pelorus Sound in the Marlborough Sounds.

Participant

The Sounds will be spectacular cruising grounds for Aroha. I look forward to you keeping us informed as the build progresses.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.