Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Here’s an excerpt from designer Doug Hylan taken from the Materials List in the plans:

Sails – It’s best to try to find a sailmaker with experience in traditional four sided sails. Ask him/her to use the lightest and softest fabric they consider suitable. If you think you might be sailing in heavy winds, you should ask your sailmaker to include a set of reef points in you sail. We have had excellent sails from these sailmakers:

Douglas Fowler, Ithica, NY – (607) 277-0041

Grant Gambell, Camden, Maine

Nat Wilson, Boothbay, Maine

John McDougallJohn McDougall
      Participant

I have just been perusing the forum for the first time and have noticed that I cannot access two of the above links. I get an error message “insufficient permission” even though I am logged on. Is this normal?

I would like to take the opportunity to ask a question about the use of the forum. Where in the forum can I ask a question of a general nature, unrelated to the construction of the ARRIBA / OONAGH Dinghy? For example I require general advice regarding the rigging of a head sail.

Doug HermannDoug Hermann
      Participant

John – I get the same error messages on Nat Wilson link and the Douglas Fowler link – they both seem to go to Facebook. I suspect you would need a Facebook account and be logged in to see them.

I think you are in the right space to ask questions about rigging a head sail. Sails. Covers everything. :-)

John McDougallJohn McDougall
      Participant

Thanks for the comments Doug.

This is just a general question relating to the rigging of the jib in the dinghy shown in the photo. I have been revisiting a number of details lately and this just happens to be one of them. I don’t do any racing and simply enjoy sailing around the lake, so my enquiry is not related to sailing performance at all and only to what is considered good practice.

You will notice that the tack is pulled down tight to the stem (as shown on the sail plan). It is obvious that the sail could be re-rigged higher up the mast. Can you comment on the preferred or normal set-up? I don’t have any issues with visibility under the jib as I sit on the floor of the boat when sailing.

DSC05980

Doug HermannDoug Hermann
      Participant

John – I am not an expert in sail configurations. I grew up sailing, but never got into the details of sail design and configurations.  Just enjoyed whatever was on a particular boat.

Hopefully, someone far more knowledgeable ( perhaps even Doug Hylan himself) could chime in.

I do like the look with a jib…. I’d say go for it and see how she handles!

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.