Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Doug HermannDoug Hermann
      Participant

I cut up some of the sapele I had left over and then worked to scarf them together to get the length needed for the inwales. I will say I need to practice more in making scarf joints. I only hope the thickened epoxy will hide my feeble efforts. I read another blog on the Wooden Boat Forum and the builder was commenting how he gets out his automotive feeler gauges when he starts fitting joints. I have a long way to go before I could say a Feeler Gauge is needed in my tool kit.

Here is my setup clamping them along the front edge of the workbench.I’ll know in the morning how well I did and whether I need to go back to lumber yard for a longer piece or the scarf joint will hold.

My boatyard dog (3 1/2 months old) is politely staring at me expecting I will give him a dog treat… which of course I did.

IMG_3117

IMG_3116

Doug HermannDoug Hermann
      Participant

It s now the next evening. Busy day sanding, varnishing, sanding, epoxy, sanding, cutting, sanding, shaping, sanding.

Did I mention I sanded a lot today? All part of boat building. Rather cathartic at times. Good for the soul.

my scarf joints came out way better than I expected! Didn’t get a picture. They are doing the job. I cleaned up the pieces, routed the sharp edges sanded everything nice. Ready for epoxy in the morning.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.