Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      Doug HermannDoug Hermann
      Participant

We arrived at the lake, offloaded Margaret Ann and slipped her gently into the water. She sits beautifully on her lines!

Margaret Ann is the name of our #2 Granddaughter. So far,  3 of the 4 grandkids have boats in their names!

Two generations climbed aboard and off they went for adventures on the high seas.  All they got were the summer doldrums. No Wind! Rowing was better for moving, but was cumbersome with sailing rig up and in place.  Finally the kids decided the community pool and rockslide would be more fun. I was left alone to sail by myself. I found a bit of wind, but spent most of the time rowing and sweltering in the 91 degree (32.8 C) heat.

The boat rowed very well. In light airs the sailing performance was marginal. I drifted a lot, not being able to generate enough speed to get the daggerboard and rudder to bite and hold a line. Once the wind picked up, on the rare moments, it sailed nicely. This is a boat for the open waters of the ocean, not a relatively small man-made lake in the mountains.

The pictures aren’t quite in the right order but you can see her launching and first forays with the grandkids. What it is all about!

Getting situated and ready to head off.

8EF888EF-8F25-43B4-91E0-2CA142CB92F2

Touching water for the first time!

E93EF349-5D65-49BB-83BE-1D599CC9A8DE

#1 son off on his own for a bit… of no wind sailing

EC0DD6EF-0A2D-4483-BAB6-F0242F2EE79F

The most frequent mode of transportation  Rowing.

DCF216F0-A459-42CF-9BB0-EFCBCC9AF0D8

My one feeble photo shot while I had some wind filling the sail and was headed off towards the dam.

AE48A9D4-3907-4559-BB76-1EEC23DC12FC

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.