Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      Doug HermannDoug Hermann
      Participant

Today was a long day with the boat, probably a solid eleven hours. Started outer-checking things I got done yesterday with all the various bits and pieces of trim, support pieces, etc. All looked good. Onto the MAST STEP.

I had made up the basic blank, probably oversized but it fits down below. Top layer is plywood as per guidance and it also has Dynel on top of that. I cut the top piece from the cutout off the stern.

Ok now to cut a hole. The. plans call for a 1 7/8″ for the final diameter of the bottom of the mast. So let’s see if I have a hole saw that sized. Low and behold, I did find a few after scrounging in backs of drawers, but not 1 7/8. I have a 3″, a couple of 2 1/4 and a 2″ Forstner bit.. 2′ it is. Close enough. I will make a thicker diameter mast bottom – should be fine.

Now to drill this hole. I don’t have a drill press. But I do have this Rockwell (remember them) 1/2″ Drill – it is one of my prides and joys. I bought it in the Spring of 1978, 43 years ago. It has moved with me and changed houses probably a dozen times in those years – but I never got rid of it. It is a beast and will rip your arm out of it’s socket if you don’t pay attention. But, chucking up the forstner bit, hitting the go button and I had that hole drilled out in less that 30 seconds. A quick swipe with the rounder bit in the router and Waa La!!

WHAT ANGLE TO CUT THE HOLE? I determined that the hole is actually perpendicular to the top face of the mast step as it sits on the workbench. The rake of the mast I found to be 5.55 degrees; the best I could tell from the plans, the rake of the mast is perpendicular to the top face of the base, when viewed from the side.

When the mast step is epoxied onto the keelson, the angle is about 5 or 6 degrees off of being level. Hopefully I am right, or I may end up with one funky looking mast rake.

After this was completed I commenced on all the trim and supports for the bow thwart. Posting elsewhere for details.

HOLE CUTTERS AND FORSTNER BIT

IMG_3164

ROCKWELL DRILL

IMG_3163

STOPPED FOR PHOTO OP

IMG_3161

NICE HOLE

IMG_3162

ALIGNMENT MARKS AT THE READY, READY TO EPOXY INTO THE BOAT

IMG_3166

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.