Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Doug HermannDoug Hermann
      Participant

Bob Donaldson documented his approach and results in building and installing his trunk. A remarkable effort. I will say it is well done and certainly worthy of being looked at closely for hints and tips.

My approach was different – hopefully not better or worse – but just different. I am installing the trunk as a complete unit. I made up some very tight fitting plugs and got them into the daggerboard slot; this protrudes about an inch or so below the trunk – so it fits tightly into the sot cut through the keel. This is how I will ensure the trunk will be in alignment with the cut out. Seems OK so far. Tomorrow, or when I get more Thickened epoxy in  caulking tubes, I will slather it up, screw it down, clean up the squeeze out and trust it will be watertight!

The trunk assembly has two coats of epoxy on all surfaces, the inner faces are covered with Dynel and it is all epoxied and screwed together, and has one coat of primer paint. The edges were I will apply epoxy will be free of any coverings other than bare wood or epoxy.

TIGHT FITTING ALIGNMENT PLUGS

IMG_3141

SET IN PLACE AND NICELY ALIGNED BELOW

IMG_3144

Here is the setup to epoxy the stations 5 & 6  bulkheads and daggerboard trunk. Everything measures out plumb & square. We’ll see how it goes in the next update.

IMG_3149

Bob DonaldsonBob Donaldson
      Participant

Looks good Doug!  Yes, there are multiple ways of doing things.

Doug HermannDoug Hermann
      Participant

I epoxied the daggerboard trunk in place today. Everything went together as expected. After a few hours I hammered out the slot plug I used to keep everything in alignment. I then got the daggerboard out for a test fit! WooHoo!! It fits like a glove! THe daggerboard has already been epoxied with dynel and has a coat of primer on. Paint colors still a TBD.

0A3760AF-65FE-447E-B44E-61C4E5BA1BDB

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.