Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Roy JonesRoy Jones
      Participant

Hi All from New Zealand.

I have finally completed my Oonagh dinghy after having the plans for nearly a year. I enjoyed the construction and it was remarkably simple, took only about 7 – 8 weeks once underway. During our winter, while mild, it still requires firm resolve to get down in the workshop before the sun swings around to shine in there about lunchtime for the afternoon. However, being retired there are plenty other make-work tasks to fill the day.20210702_135309

Dragged it out into the weak sunshine today and took her for a row around the bay but haven’t tried the rig as yet, minimal wind around during this frosty weather.    I am interested to try sailing her as despite a lot of blue water sailing, I have never sailed a sprit rig and wonder how it will perform.  A sprit rig you ask…  a long story. In 1977 a friend of mine John had a well known boatbuilder build him a 17ft Whitehall with a Sprit rig. He tried it once and never persevered, folding it up and storing it along with the spar and running rigging.       He mainly enjoyed rowing the Whitehall long distances until about 5 years ago some young layabout set fire to his boat shed and by the time the fire was out the entire hull was just charcoal… that’s right… the shape was perfectly preserved but completely as carbon.  He was devastated and eventually he asked the original builder, Lionel Jeffcoate to build him another, but at 84, he wasn’t interested. Lionel suggested me and so I built John a lovely 13ft clinker pulling skiff along the lines of his Whitehall.    John had found a lovely design from Mystic Harbour and purchased the plans from there.

As a result when I mentioned building Oonagh he asked if I would like the Sprit Rig he still had… I keenly agreed…  so here we now have it after nearly 45 years, still in as new condition.    It is only 65 sq ft as opposed to Oonagh’s 75 but I won’t be competing with it so it will be fine.       So far I have found the cost of the build is minimal with only 6 or 7 sheets of ply required, I had in stock plenty of treated White Pine timber, bronze and stainless screws and of course the rig.     The most expensive item has been the new trailer at NZ$895, but even that I thought pretty economical.     I am looking forward to having a sail in her… I say her, but it has a blokes name!20210708_140319

Legend has it that Oonagh was the wife of an Irish giant and his name was Fionn McCool. Back in the early 50’s, as a kid I remember the Sunday morning request sessions and I loved the one about the giant, Finn McCool who always had to fight the wannabee’s for the right to be called the best fighter in all Ireland!   Oonagh was his clever wife who sorted out the pretenders.  So…  Fionn McCool it is!     I intend to tow Fionn behind our 40ft launch when heading out in the Marlborough Sounds. I enjoy cruising out to the myriad bays, mooring up then jumping in the dinghy to go exploring in smaller waters.     If anyone has a bankrupt moment, go onto Google Earth and look up Pelorus Sound in the north of the Sound Island, NZ.                        Paradise!                                        Roy Jones

Participant

Hi Roy
      Great to see there is another Oonagh in NZ thought I was all alone. Your boat looks great it will be interesting to see how It sails with the sprit rig.

My Oonagh is pretty much  complete with only  rigging and a few other bits and pieces to still to do.  Most probably won’t  launch before Labour Weekend.

Like you I built it from scratch and got a lot of enjoyment out of doing it.   Am looking forward to getting it in the water and see how it goes, especially under sail.

412693BC-FBDB-47AB-8D36-1BA7589D53F4

Roy JonesRoy Jones
      Participant

Hello John,

Thank you for your comments, yes it is nice to have some company in NZ. I haven’t had the chance to sail her yet as it is either flat calm, too windy, or too cold!!  Bit wimpy I guess. I am looking forward to get sailing though. Your craft is looking rather nice, real smart. I have just today completed fitting the belting and feeling quite proud of how it turned out. As mentioned in another area of the forum, we don’t have anything suitable for fixed fendering so I have created one which is simple and I hope will do the job. 20210730_150819

People may consider it a little agricultural I suppose but I am confident it will work, and it is economical. I want to tow it behind our launch so it has to have good fenders for when we moor up at night, don’t want it banging up against the hull all night! Do keep in touch if you are ever down this way, roysieatxtra.co.nz

cheers,   Roy

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.