Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hi All,

I noticed that the design spec for the pillow block on my plans looks different than that shown by Kit in video #18 at 1:22.  Attached is a snapshot of my plan (page 2 of version 8/17/2020).  On my plan the pillow block is only on top of the guard and there is no accommodation for adjusting the angle.   It might be tricky to grab a screen shot from the video since it is an oblique view.

Might someone upload a picture of the updated plan, like Kit’s, that includes the pillow block like the one Kit made?

[Video #18 https://www.offcenterharbor.com/videos/building-oonagh-rowing-sailing-dinghy-part-18-oarlocks-pads/%5D

pillow-block

Doug HermannDoug Hermann
      Participant

Hi Ben!

I have one of the two boats documented (so far) on their build. You will see in my postings, when I got to the pillow block, I mocked up a few samples to get a sense of size, strength, looks, etc. So my pillow blocks probably don’t look like the plans. But they work for me and the build route I took. I think the gunwales on my build are much heavier than the plans.

My suggestion, do what you think will look good on your build. Hope you are having fun with the build!

Doug Hermann

Participant

Thank you, Doug.  I did as you suggested and I think they will serve.   Kit’s video with the graph paper was very helpful.  I wish I had tapered the pointy ends to not be knuckle catchers before installing them, but what is a little bit more sanding at this point.

As I mentioned to my compatriot here3DC52C6A-1BB2-4793-99DA-F80739686566_1_105_c, my “ogees” looks more like “ohwells”.  But it was fun trying.

Participant

Yes the ones I made look a lot like yours. Check out my blog at http://www.tomsboat.com.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.