Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

IMG_1390I

I named her “Encore” because she contains pieces from 4 prior sailboats.  The Mahogany for the tiller and knees is from a sailing canoe rig I built in the early 70s.  The mast and yard are spruce from my 1979 Dovkie.

Bob DonaldsonBob Donaldson
      Participant

Very nice.  I love the bold colors.

Doug HermannDoug Hermann
      Participant

Thomas – What a great looking boat! Where did you find the trailer? It looks perfect for the boat! Well done!

Participant

Got the trailer from a dealer that sells a lot of jet skis.

Participant

Launched “Encore” a few days ago on Lake George, NY.  She rows reasonably well and sails very well.  Pleased with the stability and her ability to tack efficiently.  Happy about her ability to deal with the chop from powerboat wakes.  She stayed mostly dry when we hit the second wave head-on, although obviously lost virtually all headway in light air.  Sailing around the bay we got lots of compliments, which were due to Doug’s design as much as my construction. The picture me and my son and our two goldens, around 500 lbs.  She handled to load well.

IMG_0004

Doug HermannDoug Hermann
      Participant

I love that the dogs are out with you! She/He looks like she’s ready to jump after a nice fish! Just great! Well Done!

Participant

Beautiful boat. Impressive that it can handle Lake George. (I am familiar with the motor boat chop there.) It doesn’t look overloaded at all.
      Do you have a picture where we can see inside the boat more? I’m considering a similar pattern of brightwork vs paint, and I’d like to see what you did inside. I see a varnished thwart knee, and I see that the forward area is painted. Just curious what else is going on.

Participant

This is the interior.  Mahogany knees and oarlock pads blended with the fir.  I didn’t need the full padding and I prefer the wood and removeable bumpers.  I extended the center seat aft so I didn’t have to sit on the floor.  They work fine except the back aligns with the oarlocks.  IMG_1386

Participant

Looks great! I think I’d make those same decisions regarding brightwork vs paint. That’s the look I’d want! I love the two rubrails on the sheerstrake. Looks great, and salty. Yes, I think I would go for wood vs the padded bumpers, too (but this design looks great no matter what people do). The wooden cleats are great.

Doug HermannDoug Hermann
      Participant

Tom – Great thinking on extending the middle thwart! I found, the hard way, I am getting a bit too old for scooting around tacking and jibing while sitting on the sole. Your seat extensions are perfect. Great way to keep the weight centered.

Participant

I asked Doug Hyland about the side seats.  He said fine, but suggested making the mast 6″ taller.  Obviously, not a retrofit option.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.