Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Doug HermannDoug Hermann
      Participant

The lug sail arrived yesterday. I had ordered it from Gambell & Hunter of Camden, Maine about a month ago.

It looks great, seems extremely well made. I hung it up and my first reaction was – wow it’s bigger than I imagined.

So for something less than $500, I wholeheartedly recommend Gambell & Hunter. I went with just plain white, I think their colored sails might be a bit more. Lead time was very reasonable. All in all a good experience.

IMG_3111

Participant

Hi Doug

I also have my sail and like you when I spread it out on the lounge floor I was surprised by its size.  Being a Kiwi I had mine made here in NZ by one of our  smaller sailmakers experienced in dinghy sails. Cost NZ$950

When I ordered the sail they requested to lay the cloth (Dacron Contender Super Cruise) horizontally rather than vertically as on the sail plan.  After some research I found it is commonly done this way with lug type sails in NZ so I agreed.

Will have to wait & see!

Doug HermannDoug Hermann
      Participant

Hi John

I saw your build on another topic heading… very nice! I liked the round waterproof hatches.

I know nothing about the science of sail construction. Does it make a difference if it’s made with vertical panels or horizontal panels?

Participant

Hi,

My sail was made by Doug Fowler in Ithaca, NY. He is one of the sailmakers recommended by Doug Hylan.

Here’s his take on vertical panels: “Concerning vertical panels as shown on your plan.   I will be making your sail with horizontal panels (seams at a right angle to the leech).  The reason for this is vertical panels are a throwback to cotton when they were taking advantage of the warp fibers in the fabric which runs the entire length of the roll.  That combined with vertical seams added strength to the most highly loaded area of the sail, the clew to head.  It is difficult to put a draft into a sail with vertical panels.  The only reason cotton sails ultimately worked is they stretched thus creating a draft.  However, the draft ends up in the wrong place, too far aft.  Modern Dacron has relatively little stretch and combined with full seam curves a properly located draft can be built into the sail.”

The sail is beautiful and very well made. I posted a photo in the boatbuilders thread.  Doug was also very helpful with questions about rigging.

Best, Scott

Doug HermannDoug Hermann
      Participant

Scott – that is interesting. I like Doug Fowler’s explanation. My sincere hope is these little boats won’t be winning time trials. but will be a nice stable platform for grandkids to grow up with. Learn how to sail, go exploring at low tide, challenge themselves when the wind freshmen up coming out of the north. I’ll leave the physics of sail shapes and construction to the racers – I am beyond that- I am now more of go slow and then ease up….

Thanks Scott – Doug H.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.