Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Doug HermannDoug Hermann
      Participant

I trailered MARAGET ANN up to Maine and we used her for a good 3 weeks!

One morning I took her out in a nice breeze expecting a fun sailing session tacking about the harbor and around moored boats. Unfortunately that was not what happened. I found the boat didn’t track well. I couldn’t get her to tack properly. Just a lousy experience.  So off went the sailing gear and out came the oars and oarlocks. From then on, everyone had a blast rowing the boat around the harbor, exploring amongst the rocks, ledges and shoreline -particularly at low tides. She got really good workouts and she scraped her bottom, bumped her hull! Everything a boat should be.

When I returned home, I reached out to Doug Hylan for guidance what might have gone wrong with my dismal sailing experience. He pointed out that if I was sitting towards the rear of the boat – she would squat, slow down, and become unresponsive. Guess what – that is exactly what I had done. I wasn’t sitting on the rear thwart, but I was sitting on the floor leaning back into the rear thwart.

Doug reminded me that I needed to center my weight in the boat. I will try again and remember this time to get up against the center thwart. Also at age 71, I must come to grips with the fact I am not as flexible and nimble as I was at age 35. Wiggling around from side to side, while tacking/jibing, didn’t sit well with stiff joints and bad hips!

She is a pretty boat for sure! Doug Hylan is a great designer/architect.

0EAAD766-F088-4193-A77B-C7338A736619_1_201_a

Participant

I often picture myself in the location you were sailing in. I suppose you could add ballast up front if you were soloing?

Participant

Beautiful boat by the way!

Doug HermannDoug Hermann
      Participant

Thanks Peter! I really enjoyed building her. Just getting closer to the center thwart should be all that is needed. Sitting in the back as I did, I was fighting the tiller all the time. Dumb me….I should have figured it out. Maine has 3,000 miles of beautiful coastline. A lifetime isn’t enough to take it all in. The Pacific Northwest has to be the same, just on a much, much grander scale.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.