Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Bob DonaldsonBob Donaldson
      Participant

8-5-21 – I have been sailing my 30′ sloop Evergreen for 27 years but have never had much experience with dingy sailing, so I really didn’t know what to expect. I rolled the boat down to the water’s edge and launched her after a quick christening ceremony with my sweetheart Cindy and my new boat Cindy. A little wine for Neptune, some for the boat, and some for us.

IMG_4442

It floats!

The boat rows exceptionally well and fast, but the recommended 8′ oars are way too long if you plan on mostly sailing the boat. In addition to being cumbersome to row with, they take up too much space in the boat when sailing. I will cut them down to something much more manageable.

IMG_0270

Stepping the mast and hoisting the sail is a bit of a challenge in a tippy boat, but I soon got the hang of it. The next challenge was getting out to where the wind was. My creek is too protected for this small sailboat.  I had to row a little to catch the breeze.

IMG_0271IMG_0274IMG_0276IMG_0278

Finally out in open water, the boat takes off.

IMG_4434

It sails well upwind and downwind it really takes off.

IMG_4439

Overall I couldn’t be happier with the boat. I learned a lot in the building of the boat and thoroughly enjoyed yesterday’s sail. I plan to take a cooler with me for an extended sail today.

Cindy’s new home.

IMG_4445IMG_4446IMG_4443IMG_4444

Doug HermannDoug Hermann
      Participant

Bob – absolutely beautiful! Well done! I love the way you are able to hang her off the davits. Great waterfront setup.I am sure your bride is just as thrilled as you are! Thanks for allowing us to follow your build!

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.