Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      Doug HermannDoug Hermann
      Participant

I started crafting the various pieces of support structure for the stern thwart. Mostly tried to find scraps left over as 95% of the supports will never see the light of day.

I was real proud of the main crossmember that gets notched into the two parallel bulkheads. I made it really oversized because it is what I had, and bigger is better and stronger. Got it in place and then test fitted the panel……Ooops somehow I made a mistake. The back edge of the support aligned perfectly with the front edge of the seat panel. Must not have measured that 3rd or 4th time before cutting. Quickly found another pieces to sister onto the back, some Titebond 3 and screws good as new! Of that was my 2nd mistake!

The scrap I used as a sister was actually the piece I had carefully cut and dry fitted to be the very rear support across the transom. How i didn’t see that I don’t know. But I found more scrap and made another. After that I decided I will do a few more,easy pieces, then wait for the pieces with compound curves for tomorrow when fresh and thinking clearer.

Mistakes do and will happen, all we do on a very basic level is improvise and overcome.

Cross support notched in place

75B4FDA8-6249-4672-B48B-A469C43D2F16

Well damn, didn’t measure or cut that anywhere close to being right!

F6E79048-C371-45D8-91D9-745BAF75A900

Quick,fix with a sister glued and screwed on the backside . No one will ever know or see – except OCH members!

9BD94183-BA28-4EBB-82CA-99572CE1B5A7

All except the side supports everything else ready for epoxy and thickened epoxy.  Then on to the center thwart and then the bow and mast step!

B7260108-D1EA-4F7E-9610-E2BBAC4DB11E

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.