Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      Bob DonaldsonBob Donaldson
      Participant

From my Blog: https://house-doc.net/Oonagh/?p=1261

6/8/21 – Now that the rudder is in place, I can begin the work of making the tiller. I started with a block of African Mahogany the approximate length and width of the tiller template. I traced the outline of the tiller onto the mahogany and then cut it out with the jigsaw.

IMG_3769

After cutting it out with the jigsaw, I then proceeded to shape it with a block plane, the belt sander, and finally with sandpaper.

IMG_3771

Here is the tiller in roughly final shape.

IMG_3770

IMG_3772

I have more sanding to do on the tiller and cheeks to smooth them out for final varnishing and painting.

6/11/21 – I got to work on the top of the Daggerboard today. I previously made a block of mahogany that would fit between the center seat hatches and now I have to make a slot for the Daggerboard to fit into. I started by putting a 45-degree bevel all around the piece. Then I cut it in half so I could use the table saw to rough out the 1/2″ slot. I used the table saw to nibble away 1/4″ in each piece.

IMG_3774

Then I had to use a hand saw to square off and clean up the corners.

IMG_3776

The result is two pieces that can fit around the daggerboard.

IMG_3777

This is what it will look like when glued in place.

IMG_3779

Next, I did some more work on the tiller. I used a spokeshave and some 60 grit sandpaper to thin out and round the shaft so it tapers from square to round.

IMG_3780

Next, it was time to put a coat of clear epoxy on all the pieces.

IMG_3781

Once I glue up the Daggerboard and tiller parts, all that will be left is sanding and painting everything. Plus a lot of varnish on the spars and tiller.

6/13/21 – Today I glued up the tiller cheeks. I also re-glued the heal of my wife’s sneaker after it fell off.

IMG_3782

Then I epoxied the top support on the Daggerboard. I decided to let it dry while hanging vertically in the correct position to be sure I had it in the center of the daggerboard slot.

IMG_3783

Finally, I used a fairing compound to fill the remaining screw holes and joints in the seats.

IMG_3784

Next up, I will start painting the interior.

6/14/21 – After gluing up the Tiller and Daggerboard, I then had to prep them for painting and varnishing. I had a scary moment this morning when I went to pull out the Daggerboard. Even though I thought I taped up the underside so it wouldn’t stick to the slot, some of the epoxy leaked out and stuck it was. Fortunately, I was able to unstick it with my prybar and a hammer. Then, I was able to clean up the excess epoxy with the heat gun.

IMG_3791

I will need to use some fairing compound to fill in around the top.

IMG_3794

Next, I worked on sanding the tiller to prep it for varnish and paint on the cheeks.

IMG_3789

Next, I screwed down the mast step. I decided not to epoxy it in place until I am able to take the boat outside and try to set the mast, but at least with it screwed down, I will be able to check the mast angle.

IMG_3790

My next project was to install a bow eye and two stern eyes so I can lift the boat on my davits. I couldn’t get eyes the right length, so I had to measure and cut them off.

IMG_3786

I used my Rotozip to cut the bolts to the correct length.

IMG_3785

The eyes are 316 stainless and seem to blend right in.

IMG_3787

IMG_3788

I spent the rest of the day sanding and finding spots that need a little more filler.

IMG_3793

Tomorrow, more fairing filler and another coat of epoxy on the tiller.

6/15/21 – Today I put another coat of epoxy on the tiller and filled the remaining screw holes with fairing filler. Tomorrow I can start painting.

IMG_3796IMG_3797IMG_3798IMG_3799

I received the sail today from Douglas Fowler, Sailmaker, Ithaca, NY. He said this was the 3 or 4th one he has done for Oonagh recently.

IMG_3800

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.