Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

Hello OONAGH Builders (and those considering building one) ~

We’ve set up this forum so everyone building one of these boats has a gathering place to ask and answer questions, post photos, etc.  The goal is to create a “body of knowledge” that helps builders through their project.  It will also help those who are considering the project to assess their skills vs. what is needed.

As it is with all comments/posts on Off Center Harbor, we request that all participants have a mindset of being helpful and not insulting or personally critical, as we just don’t do that here.

Thanks in advance for your contributions!

The Crew at Off Center Harbor

Richard HonanRichard Honan
      Participant

After seeing Doug Hermann’s “Arriba” at this year’s WoodenBoat Show, I have ordered the building plans. Having built and sailed four 7’8″ Nutshell Prams, the “Arriba” sounds perfect for my seventy three year old body. My agility and balance, as described by Doug Hylan in the intro video hit the nail on the head. Having previously built twelve small wooden boats, ranging from Nutshell Prams, a 16’00 Melonseed, Adirondack Guide Boat and most recently a Doug Hylan 13’00” Peapod, I’m looking forward to not only building the, “Arriba”, but rowing and sailing it.

Participant

Richard, Doug Day here. I run the Sweet Chariot Music Festival (for boats) on Swan’s Island, near Brooklin.  I was recently given a 12′ Whitehall.  I was delighted when it proved rowable and didn’t take on water at the dock and rowing it around Rockport harbor.  When I received it (or possibly after my tarp allowed some rain water in and froze) three or four ribs showed almost half-an-inch about mid-ships, Gap, I mean between planks and ribs.
        I tried using the Whitehall as a dinghy for VALENCIA, S&S, 40′ sloop, from Rockport to Swan’s Island.  Moderate chop, the Whitehall took on water, about 4″, not threatening, but obviously, I think, coming in from seams.

I’d love to use the boat as a dinghy.  What should I do to “beef up” the seams.  I’m astounded in the construction how light it is and how few fasteners are used from ribs to planks.  The 15′ Whitehall I see in the Wooden Boat Show (nearby, in St. George, ME) seems to have more rivets.  Any advice on understanding the planking and fastening and esp. the lifting of these three or four ribs, I’d be grateful.  Doug Day, Rockport/Swan’s Island. OH, and I should mention: stored now in my unheated by not cold, cement-floored basement, the gaps in the ribs are much less pronounced, almost unnoticeable.  I’m not a stranger to small wooden boats, having maintained a Moriches Bay sloop, PETREL for 40 years, so I know lots of parts move around, depending.  But I wonder if the fix requires re-steaming those four ribs entirely or?

Doug HermannDoug Hermann
      Participant

Richard – we definitely want to see pictures and descriptions of your build! There is a lot us poor rookies can learn from someone who has already built 12 boats! I’ve got the popcorn ready at my house!

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.