Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Doug HermannDoug Hermann
      Participant

Has been great to meet and greet fans of OCH and wooden boats in general. The Oonagh/Arriba draws a nice crowd and a steady stream of very interesting folks. Most enjoyable day just talking boats! Hurricane approaching, so boat show being shortened to just Friday and Saturday. There are some remarkably talented people building beautiful boats.

C6005E40-5A5F-4A6A-932F-7F466DEBA87FF9E893A7-7093-4E99-ABF4-94C19EEDF0C2

Participant

Doug. Margaret Ann is beautiful. You are a craftsman for sure. The color scheme is gorgeous.
      All done, what’s her weight? I am tempted to replace my Rib with an ARRIBA, but have two concerns. 1) weight. I like to keep the weight down whether on davits or laying on the bow. 2) beaching on rocky shores. What are your thoughts on keeping the weight down, still having the seating and storage while also having a bottom that can take the abuse. My ARRIBA will be a utility boat vs the masterpiece that Margaret Ann represents (acknowledging that you also built her to be tough). S

Doug HermannDoug Hermann
        Participant

Hi John – I don’t know what she weighs. I can’t figure out how to weigh her.  She is certainly heavier than what Doug Hylan estimates.

I purposely made her heavy – I used Dynel and fiberglass and epoxy liberally. Doug Hylan suggests about a gallon to a gallon and a half of epoxy… I think I used 2x to 3x that amount. I put dynel on the bow and stern, dynel inside on the cockpit floors.  The spaced inwale added weight I am sure.

I would keep the dynel bottom as Doug Hylan specs, do a simple gunwale, eliminate the gunnel guard and the 400+/- silicon bronze screws and washers. Eliminate the sail rig. I also ran a brass strip down the entire keel – that and the dynel you should be good to go! Bang into rocks all day long!

Do that and I believe you’d have a great tender.

Participant

Doug

Enjoyed seeing and speaking with you about Margaret Ann on Saturday, You and your crew where preparing to load her on the trailer. Beside the Boat, watching the the cute as a button little girl checking her out, priceless.

Thank you,

Harry

Doug HermannDoug Hermann
        Participant

Harry – even though I drove a total of 2,500 miles round trip and the show was cut short by a day, I still had fun! It was worth it to share my experiences building a rather unique boat! I am glad you got the opportunity to see her!

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.