Email This Page to a FriendSmall Boat Gatherings – Simplicity Afloat
September 7, 2016
Seeking a simpler life afloat? Small boat gatherings will stimulate your dreams and help you find community.
RELATED OCH LINKS:
Our Small Boats category.
Visit the Traditional Small Craft Association for more small boat events and gatherings.
The Small Boats annual magazine from Woodenboat.
Small Reach Regatta is hosted in Brooklin, Maine.
Port Townsend Pocket Yachters hosts events such as the Pocket Yacht Palooza and Palooza Crooza.
Mid-Atlantic Small Craft Festival is hosted at Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum in St.Michaels, Maryland.
Semaine Du Golfe is a week long raid in Brittany, France.
Sail Caledonia is a Scottish Raid.
VeLaRaid is an annual event in Venice, Italy.
– I was looking at a Shannon 38, which is one of my dream boats, and was thinking in that direction most of my life, and then I have three friends with 38-40 plus footers, and I see how much time they’re occurring maintaining these boats, and all these areas that I wanted no part of: refrigeration, so on and so forth. So I said, we wanna be on the water sailing, and going places, and here we are.
– And it’s been wonderful to come to the Small Reach Regatta, and see all the people in little boats.
– We’ve always had our circle of cruising buddies, but never this diversity of boats and sailors. A lot of them were here this past week for the SRR. So it’s a great fraternity, and I just feel like we’ve had them forever in our lives.
– I’ve been sailing dinghies all my life, and at some point, I got a cruising boat, got four kids, but the older two are starting to do their own things, understandably. So the 42 foot boat just was getting used less and less. I decided that I’m missing out on a lot of sailing. I got back into dinghies at some point with a friend, met some people out at St. Michael’s Small Craft Festival three years ago, that was our first event. After that, just been keeping in touch with some of those guys I never knew before.
– There’s enough time frame in what you’re doing between the sails for people to just relax and chat about things other than boats.
– [Voiceover] As we travel around the world filming videos for Off Center Harbor, we see small boat gatherings popping up all over. Small boat raids have been popular in Europe for a long time. Now we’re seeing them on the east and west coast of the U.S. And a ten day raid down in Tasmania just popped on our radar. It’s almost like these small boat skippers have figured out an old kind of boating in its simplest form. When the Small Reach Regatta returned to Maine this summer, we headed down to the waterfront to get a closer look at what these gatherings are about.
– The Traditional Small Craft Association, they have chapters around the country. I know the New Jersey and Delaware river has a very vibrant sailing scene. Down in Florida, there’s the West Coast Trailer Sailor Squadron. They do events throughout the sailing season down in Florida. It’s all small boats, families, camping on beaches.
– When we left, we called, Boy that was great sailing camp for adults. It was great.
– In Maine every year, we put on the Small Reach Regatta. There are small communities around America that are sailing small boats, camping in small boats, cruising in small boats, by themselves, with their families, with their friends, and they are more than happy to show you how to do it to get you involved.
– It was one of the best weekends I ever had in my life, just some guys that love sailing, small boats, almost every single of them was gorgeous, most of them are hand-built.
– You can take your friends. You can take your family. You get a good boat, you put them in, and you just go, have fun. In the mean time, you’re on a beautiful island, and you couldn’t ask for anything more.
12 Responses So Far to “Small Boat Gatherings – Simplicity Afloat”:
Leave a Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.