Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hi Folks,

Scratched my head last Nov. and wondered what to do durning a Covid winter. May as well build a boat!!Built a 42 foot sailboat from a bare hull back in 1979/80 and sailed it for 120,000 miles and sold it in 2019.Now have a diesel powered Mainship and did the Great Loop in 2015/6.Got the Oonagh plans in Dec and started. Lucky to be able to work on it mostly full time in my fully equipped shop although the building is much different using different tools than your normal woodworking projects.Got the meranti plywood from an outfit in Halifax NS and things went along quick well. Went through about3 gals of West epoxy.Stayed close to the plans and found them to be very accurate.Thanks Doug.Now am basically done, spars made, rudder on,painted etc. Sail ordered from  Gambell/Hunter. Will send pix when I know how. John Dennis PEI Canada

Steve StoneSteve Stone
      Keymaster

Hey John.  The tutorial video shows how to upload photos into a post. Here’s that link:

Tutorial Video – How to Use the Boatbuilders’ Forum

Participant

Participant

Other builders may note I made two bench type seats where you would normally sit on the bottom while sailing.I have not sailed yet so do not know how they will work but will see.

Cheers John

Bob DonaldsonBob Donaldson
      Participant

Looks great John.  I wish I was that far along.

The weather is now in the 70’s and makes me want to go sailing.

Participant

Hi John.
      Your boat looks beautiful. Have you sailed her yet?
      How did those side benches work out? They seem like a great idea.

I’ve sailed my boat a few more times with slightly more wind.
      As the wind picks up she sails better and better!

Best, Scott

Participant

Hey Scott,

Not sailed yet. Still cool here. Great to hear yours sails well. Looking forward to it.

Cheers John

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.